Dating gorham silver marks
The name means 'green wic or settlement' (from the Latin 'vicus').but the use of East Greenwich to mean the whole of the town of Greenwich died out in the 19th century.However, Greenwich was divided into the registration subdistricts of Greenwich East and Greenwich West from the beginning of civil registration in 1837, the boundary running down what is now Greenwich Church Street and Crooms Hill, although more modern references to "East" and "West" Greenwich probably refer to the areas east and west of the Royal Naval College and National Maritime Museum corresponding with the West Greenwich council ward.An article in The Times of 13 October 1967 stated: East Greenwich, gateway to the Blackwall Tunnel, remains solidly working class, the manpower for one eighth of London's heavy industry.) is an area of south east London, England, located 5.5 miles (8.9 km) east-southeast of Charing Cross.It is located within the Royal Borough of Greenwich, to which it lends its name.It is recorded as Grenewic in 964, and as Grenawic in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle for 1013.It is Grenviz in the Domesday Book of 1086, and Grenewych in the Taxatio Ecclesiastica of 1291.
The palace was created by Humphrey, Duke of Gloucester, Henry V's half-brother and the regent to Henry VI in 1447; he enclosed the park and erected a tower on the hill now occupied by the Royal Observatory.Ultimately it was because the palace and its grounds were a royal possession that it was chosen as the site for Charles II's Royal Observatory, from which stemmed Greenwich's subsequent global role as originator of the modern Prime Meridian.The palace was the principal residence of Henry VII whose sons Henry (later Henry VIII) and Edmund Tudor were born here, and baptised in St Alphege's.Greenwich formed part of Kent until 1889 when the County of London was created.The place-name 'Greenwich' is first attested in a Saxon charter of 918, where it appears as Gronewic.
It was renamed the Palace of Placentia or Pleasaunce by Henry VI's consort Margaret of Anjou after Humphrey's death.